Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts After Water Damage
Water is important; it makes up 71 percent of the earth and about 60 percent of the human body. Although it's an important element, it sure can wreak havoc on a home or your business. That's why our team at SERVPRO of North Riverside City is available 24/7/365 to assist with all water damage restoration and cleanup. When the unfortunate event of water damage happens to you, there are a few simple steps you can take immediately while you wait for our team of experts:
- Cautiously inspect the damage to ensure safety before taking any action. Make note of environmental hazards if applicable.
- Remove furniture, wall hangings or any loose items in the affected area. Rugs, books and any personal items should be moved as soon as possible.
- Disconnect all electronic devices and move them into a different location. Electricity might need to be completely shut off depending on the damage and the water damage source.
- Dry excess water using available air conditioning, fans, dehumidifiers and mops. Opening doors and windows can also improve ventilation and circulation.
Use these tips and a few more do's and don'ts below to get started on cleanup while you wait for the team at SERVPRO of North Riverside City.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (951) 977-5294
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.